Sunshine Day background

Thursday, July 18, 2013

An Extra Measure of Grace

     I can remember the sinking feeling I had years ago when we learned that there was a chance my children could inherit the same disease my mother-in-law and several of my husband's family members suffer from. I can remember, vividly, the day we found out that my husband had the disease. I can remember the day we went to have all 5 (at the time) of my children genetically tested for the disease causing gene. I can remember, also, the day we learned that 4 of our 6 children also have the FAP gene. These moments will forever be etched in my memory. I will never forget those days. In the same way, I will never forget Monday, 15 July 2013.

     This past Monday, the "stoma nurse" came to visit with Brie for the very first time. She brought with her books, dvd's, pamphlets and stoma bags for my 15 year old daughter. Together, Brieanna, Andy and i watched the dvd and handled the "stoma bags" and discussed just what will happen to Brieanna before and after her upcoming surgery to remove her entire large bowel. The morning felt a bit surreal to me! The entire time, I felt a lump in my throat as I watched my daughter take it all in. 
      Being naturally quiet anyway, Brie said very little and had even less questions. She generally nodded and kept her answers short as things were explained and questions
posed to her. My heart broke as I watched the emotions on her face. I have a huge feeling of helplessness as the reality of Brieanna's future surgery is swiftly approaching. "It is just so REAL now!" kept running through my mind. Brieanna, on the other hand, seems to just take everything in her stride. I think we have talked and discussed everything so much the she is just ready to get it all over with! At least that is what she says! ha! She is just so brave. I may never know just how she feels, but I have to say as of this moment - my daughter is one of my HEROES! 
     Everyday I pray for God to give Brie an extra measure of grace and a future as special as she is, but since Monday, I think I have prayed it double time! God knows what Brieanna needs and He is going to be with her , this I know. Even though I, as their mama, would love nothing better than to take this particular cross from my children, I know that God's grace is sufficient and I am learning to pray every day for Him to be glorified through their trials. I know I have so much to learn and I also know that so much of that learning will be at the bedside of my babies! Thank you God for counting them worthy and thank you Lord for providing grace in EVERY time of need! I am humbled everyday to think that God gifted me with my beautiful, talented children and with His help, even this "gene giant" will not hold them back.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Amy.....you are truly an amazing lady and a great mom. I can't even imagine having to go thru what you are about to do with Breanne's surgury. I know that God will see you all thru this and many, many prayers will certainly be sent on your family's behalf. Know that I will be praying for Brianne and for you all. God bless you.
Bonnie Duggins

Unknown said...

Miss Bonnie - Thank you so much for your sweet words. Your prayers are absolutely appreciated! Love you and cannot wait to see ya'll next month! <3