Sunshine Day background

Saturday, November 02, 2013

Someday, I Won't Have To Miss A Thing...

     I LOVE our new technologies and social medias.  Now, I know there are dangers in technology and I understand the social media sites can be great time-wasters and even home-wreckers when used unwisely.  Having said all of that, I do love the social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc.  Why do I love these sites?  Because I love my family and friends and I get to feel like I am part of their lives through some of these sites.  It is almost like a tiny window into each of their lives:)  Being so far away I feel, at times, that
I AM MISSING EVERYTHING!!

     Our family is a close family.  Not just my immediate family of 6 kids and Andy, but our extended families as a whole.  We are quite close to Andy's brother and sister's families as well as his mom and dad and I have always been close to my three brothers and their families and especially my own mom and dad.  I have an 8 month old nephew and a 19 month old niece that I have yet to meet.  I know, too, that if I were to see half of my nieces and nephews today, they would not know me.  It breaks my heart not to be a real presence in their lives!  I always dreamed of being that "fun Auntie Amy" to my nieces and nephews! When I see pics of them getting older and celebrating little and big milestones in their lives, I admit I can feel a twinge of regret at times.  NEVER regret from the life we live serving our Lord, but just regret that we could not be there to celebrate with them and have a part in their precious lives  I do feel, at times that                                    
   I AM MISSING EVERYTHING!!

    The reality of our lives in the ministry is that no matter where we may be serving, I will probably never be in the same town as most of my family.  My grandparents have always been far away - Texas and Arizona so we grew up use to the distance. Now, with an older brother who is pastoring in Ardmore, Oklahoma, a younger brother as an assistant pastor in Durham, North Carolina, and my baby brother who is a pharmacist and helping to start a mission church in  Cincinnati, Ohio - my family is all over the map!  I praise God for parents who taught us that being in the center of God's will is more important that being together.  My parents always stressed that "It is safer in God's will on the other side of the world than next door and out of the will of God."  I wholeheartedly agree!  I am thrilled to be used of God here in the country of England!  So I ask myself
AM I MISSING EVERYTHING??
  
   I have been blessed to be born in an age where I can chat with my family over the internet.  A time when phone calls cost a fraction of the money they did even 20 years ago.  I live in a time when I can text my family FOR FREE any time and receive a response almost immediately - FROM ANYWHERE!  I can take pictures of everything I am doing and share them with friends and family in an instant and they can do the same with me!  To be honest, the close physical presence of family is missing but, I do get to "see" my family quite often. I have to admit in those moments when I feel so far away - it really is not all that bad:)  Getting to share little moments - even over the internet is still very special.
     I am also reminded on a daily basis that our time on earth is so fleeting.  It is but a "vapor" and then we are gone.  Heaven is forever!  I seem to look forward to that day more and more as I get older.  Heaven - where I will sing praises to our Lord WITH my family again!  Heaven - where I will NEVER have to say another goodbye!  Heaven - when there will be time for and with EVERYONE! Heaven - where 
I WON'T HAVE TO MISS A THING!!!
"O that will be glory for me!"

8 comments:

Patti Curington said...

Ditto to it all! Love it and Love you

Unknown said...

Hi, Amy! I know you don't know me, but I'm from Bible Baptist Church in Grand Forks. We've been praying for Brieanna!

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on this... my family has always been close like yours, and a few years ago, I moved with my parents to the mission field, where they serve in Botswana, Southern Africa. This we did, leaving part of our family behind in the States! I missed things so much while I was there, but the Lord taught me so much! HOwever, wouldn't you know that I married a boy from North Dakota? So now my family is spread out over two states and three different countries! Who knows if that won't be more by the time the Lord gets done with us!!! :)

All that to say, I can totally understand what you have written here. I am SO THANKFUL for the abounding technology that we have today, that allows me to be in constant communication with all of my extended family over time zones and country lines. It is so different from the way that 'it used to be' and I'm GLAD for that!!!

So I just wanted to say hi and let you know that we are praying for you guys! Hope things are going well!

Unknown said...

Hi Rachel,
Thank you so much for your comment. You know, as Christians, even though we do not know each other - it feels like we have a kinship:) I appreciate all you have shared.
I love hearing how others have coped with separation from family and friends. You all seem to be as spread out as my family and still seem close. That is my goal! No matter how far away from each other we are, technology allows us to still "be there" for each other. Such a blessing!
Custer...I am assuming that is not a coincidence that you now share the last name as Pastor Custer's family? :) I admit the church there has always made me feel close to home. The ladies share so much in their letters which I receive regularly that I feel as if I know each one of them personally. It is a wonderful feeling to be included! My love to all of you there!
Thanks again, Rachel, for sharing and for praying! It truly blesses my heart!

Unknown said...

Yes, I married Ethan, the Custer's third son. The Lord's timing (as always) was absolutely perfect, as Mrs. Weaver (the secretary here at BBC) had to retire and I was able to step right into the position. So fun and I love working for my father-in-law!
Next time my ladies' group is up and we have you, I'll have to try to snag your name before any one else does. ;)
Glad to hear things are going well with Brieanna! They'll be giving an update on her in church tonight and we'll have a special time of prayer for her recovery.
Have a great day... or what's left of it for you :)

Unknown said...

Oh, I wanted to mention that I was a Hammett before I got married... don't know if you all have ever run into any of us. :) My brother is a pastor in Pennsylvania, my dad is a missionary in Botswana, and another brother is a missionary in South Africa.
Once again, praise the Lord for Skype! Not sure when you all are due for another furlough (I know you were just back for a short visit) but I look forward to meeting you in person one day!

Unknown said...

Ok, where is Yankee, my little friend? Isn't she family?!!!! Love you guys!

Unknown said...

Rachel, I don't guess I have run into any of the family…YET:) I hope to maybe meet some of them someday. Ya'll seem "right down my street" as they say here. I am sure we will at least get back to North Dakota at some point, so it would be nice to meet you:) Thanks again, for sharing!

Unknown said...

Miss Linda - The pics (most of them) were taken at the airport when we were leaving the USA a few weeks ago. Yankee was staying with the Fergusons:) She ruled the roost while she was there too! ha! Sound familiar??