Sunshine Day background

Thursday, November 07, 2013

Up, Down, Up, Down…Brieanna Day 4

Well, today was a hard day for my girl.  (Sad, sad face)
     Brie suffered with a fever off and on all night and even into the morning.  She had a rough go of it all night and we had to adjust her positions several times and, still, she found it hard to get comfortable at all.  Even the pain medication did little to comfort her on this night.
     The Physiotherapists came first thing and got Brie out of bed and sitting up in a chair in her room.  This act was not without ALOT of pain and gritted teeth, but Brie managed it.
 I could not have been prouder! The "physio girls" tore up Brie's bed, presumably to allow for new bed linens, and left her to sit for at least a half an hour in the chair.
     Just the moving had made Brie quite nauseated and after being given pain medication and anti-nausea meds, she was so tired she could not even speak.  Each time a nurse came and went, Brie would look at me and point to the bed as if "why didn't she fix my bed."  Heart-breaking:(
     Finally, I got the bed sorted again for her and we even managed to get her into her own nice clean gown and back into bed.  That was her for the afternoon - SHE WAS OUT OF IT!  She slept for the better part of the day.
     Enter the physiotherapists AGAIN….this time they wanted her to walk a bit!  Even though exhausted, Brie agreed and they were up and moving once more!  As I said yesterday, I felt like a mother of an infant again.  It was like my baby was taking her first steps once more.
     Even the "physio girls" were impressed when Brie shuffled to the door and back to the bed, then back OUT the door and into the hallway and back to her bed.  We all clapped as we would have had she been a one-year-old and taking her first real steps.  It was definitely the highlight of the day.
     Brie has been in quite a bit of pain since that time, but she keeps on and is resting quite well at the moment.  Such a myriad of emotions have played on us today.  I have watched Brie go through exhaustion, frustration, embarrassment, agony, restfulness, and even a few happy moments when we were on FaceTime with her brothers and sisters.
     For myself, I have been on quite an emotional roller coaster as well.  I am finding that while I am completely exhausted, I am also ready to jump up and help my daughter get out of that bed and see her happy and content once more.  I also find that with each glance at my bed-ridden girl, I fight back the feeling of tears at the back of my eyes.  I have yet to give way to the tears, but, always, they are there as this mother's heart breaks for the plight of her child.
     As for my sweet family….. Andy had to get up this morning and take my mom to the airport in Manchester.  They had to leave at 4:30am!  We were able to spend the evening with my mom and Andy here at the hospital yesterday, but it is still sad to see her go!
     Andy got home and found Eli's eye very pink and looking suspicious.  A picture and text to me and I told him to ring the doctor right away.  He was able to get an appointment and sure enough….Eli has conjunctivitis or "pink eye".  He is now on antibiotics, but just another little hiccup in the life of large families:)  Illness or not, I do miss my boys and girls at home and I could see through the FaceTime moments that they are concerned and miss their big sister.  Bless their hearts - I love those kiddos!
     It is hard to watch the concern on the children's faces as they see Brieanna and not think about the future of the other three that will have to go through the same surgery.  It seems like a gigantic mountain to climb, and I know that without the strength of The Almighty, it will be.
     For now, we are concentrating on our little "hobbit" as AJ calls Brie (just because of her height - or lack of:). The future is in the hands of the all-knowing God.  The same grace He has granted us in the midst of this time, He will give as we need it for the future.  Of this fact, I am sure!
     And so, as my girlie sleeps, I watch her amazed at all she has conquered in a short amount of time and I think of all the things she will conquer yet.  God made my baby small, but so strong!  In the words of my sweet friend Kimmy Cashner "Go Brie!  You got this!"




No comments: