Sunshine Day background

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

…when my heart is overwhelmed:...

…lead me to the rock that is higher than I." - Psalm 61:2b

     I have been overwhelmed at times in my life.  I am sure everyone can empathize with that feeling.  At times it can seem that everything is bearing down on you at once and the air around you gets a bit hard to breathe.  We have had some days like that as of late….
     The past few weeks have been  bit of a blur.  There has been doctor's appointments for Andy (his health has not been at its best in the past couple of months), caring for Brieanna as she heals and then a second surgery and hospital stay for her just 4 weeks ago.  We even had a procedure for Andy in the same hospital, AT THE SAME TIME as Brieanna's surgery! Andy's mother has been in and out of hospital and Andy has been extremely worried - especially with not being able to be near her.  We have been planning for our church Couple's Valentine's dinner as well as company coming to stay with us and then a baptism and "all church dinner" as well. These are all necessary, needed, and even fun things to have in our lives.
     The Cashner family arrived on Friday, February 7.  Saturday, the day of church Valentine dinner, was crazy but so worth it as the meal and activities went so well!  The folks had a great time and Bro. Keith Cashner brought a very needed and applicable devotion for the night.  Dinner was so yummy and the whole spirit of the night was sweet!  God really blessed the fellowship through the evening.


     It was late when we finally got the community centre back in shape and headed home.  Pulling into our drive, Andy got a phone call that Emily had fallen and gotten hurt!  We rushed out of the car and into the house and upstairs to find the Brieanna sobbing, and Emily, poor girl, naked and screaming on the floor.  I expected blood, but what we got was VERY pink legs and rear-end area.  While running their bath, the kids had turned on just the HOT water and Emily had fallen into it trying to climb into the tub on her own.  I had no idea our water got THAT hot!

     The burns, though they looked painful, did not seem severe.  We did consult a doctor and were advised how to proceed. The days passed and more and more blisters began to form.  Emily could not walk considering where the burns were located.  She had to be carried to the bathroom as well as ANY place she wanted to go in the house.  She also could not even wear clothing on the lower half of her body!  She lay in our bed with cool cloths covering her for 8 DAYS!!!  Yes, that is right - 8 DAYS of holding a 4 year-old down in bed!  Believe me when i say…. "IT WAS A LOOONNNGGG 8 DAYS!!"
     God was good through it all, however.  Two weeks on, Emily has made a full recovery and we are so very thankful for grace through it all.  Her legs were quite weak and shaky when she was first able to be up and around again, but she has now regained full strength!  Praise the Lord!


     Through these days of craziness, The Cashner family has been by our side.  Bro Keith and Miss Kimmy have filled in at our church and in our home in ways we cannot begin to thank them for.  God knew when their visit was planned that we would need friends such as they during these weeks.  I am so thankful for people like these in my life!



     No sooner had our whole family been back on it's feet when we received phone calls from Andy's family saying that his mother is extremely ill and the doctor's have confirmed that she will not be getting any better this time. Our family is heart-broken!  Andy was encouraged to get home as soon as he can in order to be with his mother and family at this time.
     This past Friday evening / Saturday morning, Andy flew back to Cincinnati, Ohio to sit at the bedside of his sweet, strong mother.  I am so thankful that he was able to get back in time to hug her neck and share sweet memories with this amazing lady!  He and his brother and sister have been rotating days and nights to sit at the hospice center with their mother.  Pictures and video of their sweet reunion will be forever etched in my memory.  This dear lady has not only been my mother-in-law for nearly 18 years, but she has been my friend for longer.  I have admired this lady since I can remember!  She has been a constant icon in our lives since our family first arrived at Central Baptist Church in Amelia, Ohio nearly 33 years ago for my father to be the pastor!
     Our hearts and minds have been in nearly a constant state of prayer as things are so uncertain at the moment.  One thing that has kept running through my mind is that I have a "very present Help" in trouble.  I know that I have a Rock to run to right now.  Sure, the emotional roller coaster has taken us through it's up and downs, twists and turns, but my Rock stands unmoving!  Some days I know He is all that keeps us going.  He is enough!
     The days when tears threaten to overwhelm, the days when I see my hubby and family hurting, the times when I watch my 16 year old daughter tire out completely just doing simple tasks, and those times when it all just seems like too much - I run to the Rock!  I am not strong or brave - but I am thankful that I know THE ONE who is!
     Please do not think this is a blog all about "woe is the Sturm family"!  Far from it.  I did not intend for any of this to sound that way.  I only share these moments because I want everyone to know that "Yes, we are weak", "Yes, we struggle" but, thankfully, "YES, we have a Rock!"  Christ has shown Himself to be our strength in the past few weeks more than I think I have ever seen in my life!  He has been a very real Presence!
     We covet prayers right now.  We beg God for peace and comfort for our hurting family. We also thank God for friends and family and most of all, for His strength in our weakness!

1 comment:

Patti Curington said...

What would we do without our Rock? And how wonderful to think that across an ocean, we get to lean on the very same Rock! Love you Aim!