Sunshine Day background

Friday, March 14, 2014

Thankful for a Life

     Have you ever gone through times when you felt like you were on the outside looking in on your own life?  Have you felt like you were moving along, going through the motions, but not REALLY focused on the details of daily life?  The past few weeks have been like that here at the Sturm house.
     In our last post, Brieanna was healing from her recent surgery, we were rejoicing in a wonderful Valentine dinner with our fabulous church family and then dealing with second degree burns on our youngest child Emily.  No sooner had we jumped that hurdle when Andy had to leave to go to America to be with his dying mother.  It just seemed one thing on top of another.  Still God was gracious!


     Andy was able to make it back to see his mother and even spent a few days with her.  On March 1, 2014, Linda Sturm finally won her fight with pain and peacefully went home to be with our Saviour.  Our hearts are crushed by the loss, but we are ever thankful for God's mercy in that she is no longer suffering.

     *How could I comfort my husband over the phone?  I felt displaced.  
     *How could I tell my babies that they will never see their Grandma Linda again on this earth? I felt unprepared.  
     *How could I show my husband's family how much I truly loved and cared for this dear lady, my second mother?  I felt insincere and distant.

     At a time in the lives of my "in law" family when I desperately wanted to "be there" for them, I was an ocean away.  When my heart longed to be a daughter, sister, and grand-daughter to my precious "second family" I was too far away!  I know I am where God has placed us.  I know I was needed here at home to help my children through their grief, but oh how I wanted to hug Andy's neck and give my love to his brother, sister, father and grandmother.  I wanted to help.  I wanted to have a chance to tell my "second mom" goodbye and thank her for the 33 years of friendship and love. To thank her for her influence through my church family and her encouragement in my own family.

     How do you say thank you to the woman who gave you the love of your life?  My mother-in-law raised my husband to be the man that he is today!  She taught him to be a gentleman.  She instilled in him character, caring and amazing generosity.  Her mischievous and "jokester" personality is ever present in my husband. So many of the things that made my husband into the man I love today, are thanks to this lady! I grope for words to express my gratitude for the life of Linda Sturm.
      I cannot say thank you enough!  I cannot express my grief or heartache at this loss.  All I pray now is that she knew how much I, as her daughter-in-law, loved her.  I pray she knew how special she was to her grandchildren.  I pray she knew that I will ALWAYS do my best to take care of her son.

     Today, the funeral is over.  Today, my husband is back at home.  Today, we try to get back to "normal" life.  From today, the real loss and grieving begins. From today, we will ever be thankful for the life of Linda Sturm and her influence on our family!
     Though the reality of her absence is too hard to fully grasp, the impact she had on so many is easily felt.  Hundreds of friends and family came out to the visitation/wake and funeral to let Andy's family know how much this wonderful lady meant to them.  Her talent as a professional cake decorator and her life as a friend left an impact on so many!
     Mum Sturm demonstrated true "quiet strength" for so many years.  Though pain and suffering were a large part of her life, she continued to smile.  Even to the end, she insisted that Andy and our family were "right where we are supposed to be" and that even Andy should "not come home for me." Her answer to her own welfare was always "I'm fine" with a little grin.  Her desire was for Andy to follow the will of God and never waver - even for her!  To say that I admire this great lady would be an understatement.
    We will always cherish the times we had with her and we will try our best to remember all that she taught us and stood for.  We will never stop looking forward to that sweet Heavenly reunion!


  Though our hearts ache at this loss, our family can honestly smile and say Thank you, Lord, for the life of Linda Sturm.

2 comments:

Kent Gossmeyer said...

Nice

Patti Curington said...

Such a void left, but so thankful to have known this wonderful lady for 33 years.