Sunshine Day background

Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Baby Steps...Brieanna Day 3

   
 Today I was brought back in time - almost 15 years back in time!  I felt myself brought back to when Brieanna was just a few months old trying to gain a little independence.
     The physiotherapy girls came in today and told us that they were going to try to put Brie into a chair to sit for a bit!  I was so surprised.  I asked "Is she allowed to do that already?"  Surely this was some sort of mistake and they had the wrong patient, or at the very least, the wrong information!  It has been less than 24 hours since my little girl got out of BOWEL REMOVAL surgery and you want her to get out of that bed and sit up in a chair??  Incredible!  Impossible, right? ......  NOPE!

     Brie looked at me helplessly as the girls began to pull back the bed covers and give directions for Brie to get ready.  Tears came to Brie's eyes, but she obeyed each command.  I stood at the foot of the bed choking back my own tears while my daughter moved with intense pain to sit at the edge of the bed.  She did not make it to the chair, but she was able to sit up and cough a bit which is necessary after  surgery and lying down for some time.  It helps to clear the lungs.
     I saw my 15 year old sitting on the edge of the bed and was instantly transported back in time to when Brie was a baby and finally able to sit up on her own for the first time.  I felt myself swell with pride at my strong daughter who fought back the tears, pain and discomfort to take steps toward a normal life again.  She is growing again!  She is taking the trial that she has been put through and fighting to come out on the other side stronger for having been through the storm!  My baby is "getting bigger"!  Sure, it is not the physical growing and gaining new skills that she had when she was an infant, but for a time, she will have to struggle again to do the simplest of tasks.
     Brie was directed to shuffle her feel to the edge of the bed to sit up and I heard the praise the therapists.  Such a small thing, and yet it seemed so huge after what she has been through.  What an amazing Creator we have that would design our bodies to be able to withstand losing internal pieces and adapting so quickly!  What other creation on earth can endure such things and keep going stronger than before?  I am amazed, once again, by the design of the Great I Am!
    I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. - Psalm 139:14

No comments: