Sunshine Day background

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Camp Joy....Day 2


     Okay, so I did not post yesterday as I was EXHAUSTED after a long day of cooking, washing-up and fun fun fun with everyone, but the second day of Camp Joy was pretty good!  The second day of camp was.... my BIRTHDAY:)
     I have to admit that my ideal birthday does not include cooking three meals and a snack time for 45-60 children and adults, plus washing up the dishes and cleaning the kitchen and tables over and over again, but.....that did not mean that my day was not special.  I had the privilege of spending my birthday here at Camp Joy with wonderful friends.  
I watch these special folks as they go out of their way to make this week of camp extra special for each child present.  I am in love with these precious folks whom God has brought together from many different parts of the world.  I am so thankful that He has allowed our paths to come together.
     Even though it is only the middle of August, it has already gotten a cold here in England.  It has been a bit grey and chilly, but the kids have made the best of it as well as the wonderful spirit of the adult tent leaders.  I know many of the adults are sore and banged up a bit from games and such, but I have seen them shake it all off and run around with the children as if they are kids again themselves.  I believe this is what it is all about.  You can see the face of the children as they look adoringly at their tent leaders.  I believe in every big and little way, this is how these lovely folks are showing a bit of Christ to each child.  What an awesome thought!!
"Suffer little children to come unto me,...." - Luke 18:16
     As for my birthday, Carrie Wickens (the pastor's wife and my dear friend) made me a special birthday cake and the whole camp sang happy birthday while the cold breeze helped me blow out my candles:)  My sweet hubby was so thoughtful as well.  Even though he has been back and forth to the hospital with one of our church boys, he still went out of his way to make me a steak with broccoli and sauteed mushrooms.  It was so yummy!  All in all, I am so thankful that I spent my birthday as I did. 


 Getting older is really NO FUN once you are past a certain age, but growing old with such wonderful friends IS A BLAST!!!

No comments: